TAMPA, Fla. – The No. 25 University of Tampa tennis team has now won six of its last seven matches as it defeated No. 22 Florida Tech on Friday afternoon.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: No. 25 Tampa Spartans 6, No. 22 Florida Tech Panthers 3
Records: Tampa (11-5, 4-4 SSC), Florida Tech (14-4, 4-4 SSC)
Location: Naimoli & Young Family Tennis Complex | Tampa, Fla.
All-time Series: Tampa is now 10-8 in the all-time series with FIT and winners of two straight 6-3 decisions over the Panthers.
Follow Us: @TampaSpartans on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat and Vimeo
- Tampa won the number two and three doubles events to take a lead to singles action.
- The Spartans won four of six in singles play.
- UT took the two, four, five and six singles events.
- The number two doubles team of Maddie Stephens and Vanina Iordanova played to an 8-6 victory.
- In three singles, the duo of Lilley Nice and Emily Hewland were victorious by a 9-7 tally.
- Iordanova claimed the 6-1, 7-6 (7-0) win on the number-two court.
- Freshman Corbin Dorsey took the four singles match with a three-set victory of 6-3, 4-6, 6-4.
- Danielle Beyes won at five with straight set scores of 6-4, 6-3.
- The number six match went to senior Gianna Pinasco by scores of 6-3, 7-5.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- The 11 wins is the most for the Spartans since the 2014 campaign.
- UT tied its school-record with four SSC victories, becoming the first Spartan team to win four league matches since 1992.
- Number-one singles player Caroline Lozo missed her sixth straight match.
- Tampa now has wins over No. 19 Tarleton State and No. 22 Florida Tech in 2018.
Tampa hosts No. 7 Lynn University on Sunday, April 8 at 10 a.m.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP:
A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.
RECEIVE TEXT AND EMAIL ALERTS:
UT also offers free messaging service for text and/or email, which sends alerts and press releases for Spartan teams. To sign up, please register at www.tampaspartans.com.