TAMPA, Fla. – The No. 39 University of Tampa tennis team notched its first win of the 2019 season in a 6-1 victory over State College of Florida.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: No. 39 Tampa Spartans 6, State College of Florida Manatees 1
Records: Tampa (1-1), State College of Florida (1-2)
Location: Naimoli and Young Family Tennis Complex | Tampa, Fla.
All-time Series: Tampa now leads the all-time series 2-0.
Follow Us: @TampaSpartans on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat and YouTube.
- The Spartans earned the point in doubles with wins from the two and three matches.
- UT followed with five of six victories in singles.
- The two doubles team of Corbin Dorsey and Maddie Stephens won 6-3.
- At three doubles, the duo of Vanina Iordanova and Dakota Bush picked up a 6-1 triumph.
- Iordanova also took the one singles match, 6-2, 6-4.
- In three singles, Lilley Nice won 6-1, 6-4.
- A three-set victory went UT's way at four as Caroline Lozo prevailed 6-4, 4-6, 10-6.
- Stephens won a five by scores of 6-4, 6-0.
- Busch took a straight-set 6-0, 6-0 win at number six.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Stephens is now tied for seventh all-time with 33 career singles wins.
- Nice moved into the top-10 with her 29th career singles victory.
- Stephens is sixth in UT history with 35 doubles wins while Nice is eighth at 30.
Tampa returns to action on Wednesday in its Sunshine State Conference opener at Florida Southern College. The match is scheduled for 3 p.m., in Lakeland.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP:
A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.
RECEIVE TEXT AND EMAIL ALERTS:
UT also offers free messaging service for text and/or email, which sends alerts and press releases for Spartan teams. To sign up, please register at www.tampaspartans.com.