VALDOSTA, Ga. – The University of Tampa women's cross country team opened its 2018 season with a first-place finish at the Valdosta State University Invitational.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
UT Finish: 1st, 21 points
Overall Champion: Tampa, 21 points
Location: Freedom Park | Valdosta, Ga.
Host Institution: Valdosta State University
Follow Us: @TampaSpartans on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat and YouTube
TOP SPARTAN PERFORMERS:
• Zoe Jarvis | 1st overall, 18:47.0
• Shannon Sweeney | 2nd overall, 18:59.0
• Julia Lockridge | 5th overall, 19:40.5
• Lexi Bible | 6th overall, 19:41.4
• Monika Brill | 7th overall, 19:43.3
- Jarvis, a sophomore, was the top Spartan. She is coming off a 2017 season where she was the fastest Spartan in six of seven races.
- The first-place finish was the best for Jarvis, who was second as last year's Florida State Invite and third at the Valdosta State race.
- Sweeney, a four-year letterwinner for the UT women's lacrosse team, turned in an impressive second-place finish in her first collegiate race.
- Freshman Cassie Highsmith finished outside the Spartan top-five but was eighth with a time of 19:50.1.
- Brieanna Rekow made it seven Spartans in the top-10 as she was ninth at 19:56.02.
- A total of seven teams competed.
- UT was the lone Sunshine State Conference team in the meet.
- Tampa entered a total of 14 runners in the women's race.
Tampa heads to Melbourne, Fla., on Saturday, September 8 for the Florida Tech Invitational.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP:
A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.
RECEIVE TEXT AND EMAIL ALERTS:
UT also offers free messaging service for text and/or email, which sends alerts and press releases for Spartan teams. To sign up, please register at www.TampaSpartans.com.