TAMPA, Fla. - The No. 9 University of Tampa Spartans took on the No. 16 ranked Lynn University and won the first game of the series 10-2.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: No. 9 Tampa Spartans 10, No. 16 Lynn Knights 2
Records: Tampa (25-10, 11-2 SSC), Lynn (25-14, 8-8 SSC)
Location: UT Baseball Field | Tampa, Fla.
All-time Series: Tampa leads the all-time series over the Lynn Knights, 69-24.
How it happened
- The Spartans got on base in the second inning when Danny Lee was walked (3-2). Connor Crile got on base after being hit by the pitch and Lee advanced to second base. Kyle Cotilletta came up to bat and singled up the middle, scoring Lee. Kevin Santa came up next and singled to right field and Crile scored. Darren Miller drove in the third run of the game for the Spartans after he singled to right field and brought Cotilletta across the bag.
- The bottom of the third was prosperous for the Spartans as Vin Cosenzo doubled to center field followed by a single from Lee and single from Crile. Richie Rivera came up to bat and hit a homer to left field and brought in three runs, making the score 7-0.
- The Knights scored their first runs in the top of the fifth when they scored two runs.
- The Spartans scored three runs in the bottom of the fifth to increase their lead to 10-2.
- The Spartans held off the Knights from scoring and went on to win 10-2.
Inside the Stats
- Santa went 3-5 with one double, one run, and two RBI.
- R. Rivera went 2-4 with two runs, one homerun, and three RBI.
- Miller went 2-5 with two RBI.
Beyond the Boxscore
- R. Rivera hit his sixth homerun of the season.
- David Lebron improves his record to 6-0.
- Chris Williams earns his second save of the season.
- The Spartans won their first Friday night game since March.
Tampa will return to action tomorrow at 1 pm for a doubleheader against the Knights. Fans can watch through TampaSpartans.tv.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP:
A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.
RECEIVE TEXT AND EMAIL ALERTS:
UT also offers free messaging service for text and/or email, which sends alerts and press releases for Spartan teams. To sign up, please register at www.tampaspartans.com.