TAMPA, Fla. - The University of Tampa baseball team took on the West Florida Argonauts and came out on top, 10-6.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: #5 Tampa 10, West Florida 6
Records: Tampa (5-2), West Florida (2-5)
Location: Jim Spooner Field | Pensacola, Fla.
All-time Series: Tampa leads the all-time series with West Florida 20-5.
Follow Us: @TampaSpartans on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat and Vimeo
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Spartans first scoring run came in the top of the third inning when the Argonauts walked Chris Gaffney. Nick DeTringo came up to bat and hit a double down the left field line, advancing Gaffney to third base. Brandon Gali was up next and singled through the left side bringing Gaffney and DeTringo home and giving Tampa two runs. Stephen Smith continued the hitting run with a single through the right side, sending Gali to second base. Drew Ehrhard played his part after hitting a sacrifice bunt, moving all players up a base. Next up in the order was Darren Miller who doubled to right center, bringing Smith and Gali across the bag and making the score 4-0. Danny Sirven would score the last run of the third inning after hitting a single, bringing Miller home.
- With two outs in the top of the fourth inning, Gali got on base after hitting a single to left field. Smith was then walked, putting two hitters on base for the Spartans. Ehrhard singled through the left side, loading the bases. Miller came up to the plate and homered to center field, making the score 9-0 heading into the bottom of the fourth.
- The Spartans put another run up on the scoreboard in the top of the fifth inning, making it a 10-0 game heading into the bottom half of the fifth.
- The Argonauts had a big run in the bottom of the fifth inning, scoring as many as six runs, cutting the Spartans lead to four runs.
- The Spartans went on to win 10-6 over the Argonauts.
INSIDE THE STATS:
- Miller went 2-5 with one HR and five RBI
- Galie went 2-4 with two RBI
- DeTringo went 2-3 with two doubles and one RBI
- Mark Moclair tallied his first win of the season after pitching four innings and recording six strikeouts.
Tampa returns to action on Saturday, February 17th at 1:00PM for a game against Spring Hill.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP:
A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.