TAMPA, Fla. - The University of Tampa baseball team took on the Spring Hill College Badgers and were victorious with a decisive score of 13-1.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: #5 Tampa 13, Spring Hill 1
Records: Tampa (6-2), Spring Hill (2-6)
Location: Jim Spooner Field | Pensacola, Fla.
All-time Series: This is the first competition between the Spartans and the Badgers, the all time series record now sits at 1-0.
Follow Us: @TampaSpartans on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat and Vimeo
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Spartans were the first team to put a run on the scoreboard in the top of the third inning after Drew Ehrhard singled down the left field line to get on base. Danny Sirven singled to center field and advanced Ehrhard to third base in scoring position. Cole Perry then singled, scoring Ehrhard.
- In the top of the fifth Ehrhard got on base after being hit by the pitch. Darren Miller then singled and advanced to second base on a fielding error by the Badgers center fielder, Ehrhard scored. Harrison Bragg then came up to bat and homered with two RBI and making the score 4-0 heading into the sixth inning.
- Miller was the first batter in the top of the seventh inning, doubling to left center. Sirven got on base after being walked 3-0. Perry singled to left field, scored Miller and advanced Sirven to second base. Danny Maynard came up to the plate and was walked on a full count, advancing all hitters one base. Nick DeTringo continued the streak for the Spartans as he singled through the right side, scoring Perry and Sirven. Brandon Gali came up to bat and was walked on a 3-0 count, advancing DeTringo and Maynard. Stephen Smith reached on a throwing error by the pitcher that would bring Maynard across home plate and scoring the eighth run of the game for the Spartans.
- The Badgers got on the board in the bottom of the seventh inning after hitting a home run.
- The Spartans continued their offensive streak into the top of the eighth inning starting with a double to right center by Bragg. Sirven then singled to right center moving Bragg up to third base. Perry got in on the action as he doubled to left center, clearing the bases. Chris Gaffney then came up to bat and walked to get on base. Kyle Cotilletta came in for the Spartans and tripled to left center scoring two RBI. Cotilletta then scored on a wild pitch, making the score 13-1.
- The Badgers were unable to close in on the Spartans lead and Tampa went on to win 13-1.
INSIDE THE STATS:
- Perry went 3-6 with one double and four RBI.
- Bragg went 3-6 with one double, one HR, and two RBI
- DeTringo went 2-5 with two RBI
- Cole Aker tallied his second win of the season after pitching 7.1 innings and recording four strikeouts.
BEYOND THE BOX:
- Bragg recorded his third home run of the season against the Badgers.
Tampa returns to action on Sunday, February 18th at 11:00AM for a game against Palm Beach Atlantic.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP:
A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.