TAMPA, Fla. - The University of Tampa baseball team traveled to Nova Southeastern for their first conference road series and won in the bottom of the 12th inning, 3-2.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: #2 Tampa 3, #12 Nova Southeastern 2
Records: Tampa (11-2, 4-0 SSC), Nova (6-5, 3-1 SSC)
Location: NSU Baseball Complex | Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
All-time Series: Tampa leads the all-time series record over the Sharks at 42-18.
Follow Us: @TampaSpartans on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat and Vimeo
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Sharks were the first on the scoreboard as they scored a run in the bottom of the third inning.
- The Sharks would score another run in the bottom of the sixth, giving them a 2-0 lead over the Spartans.
- In the top of the ninth, Danny Sirven singled to short stop on a slow roller up the middle. Harrison Bragg then came up to bat and singled through the right side, sending Sirven to second. Connor Crile was walked to get on base, advancing all runners. Nick DeTringo came up to the plate and reached on a fielder's choice that would bring Sirven across the bag. Richie Rivera then came in to pinch run for Crile. After a wild pitch from the Sharks, DeTringo advanced to third and Rivera scored, tying the game at 2-2 in the top of the ninth.
- Nova was unable to score in the bottom of the ninth, sending the game into extra innings.
- DeTringo was the first batter up in the top of the 12th as he doubled down the left field line. Danny Maynard then came up to the plate and hit a sacrifice bunt that moved DeTringo to third base. Drew Burkhart came in to pinch hit for Garrett Back and singled through the right side, scoring DeTringo and giving the Spartans a 3-2 lead.
- Behind the efforts of Mark Moclair, the Spartans were able to keep the Sharks scoreless. Tampa won 3-2 in the bottom of the 12th inning.
INSIDE THE STATS:
- Moclair improves his record to 2-1 on the season.
- Pitchers tallied a combined 22 strikeouts; David Lebron 12, Cheyne Bickel 2, Moclair 8.
- DeTringo and Burkhart each had one RBI.
Tampa returns to action on Saturday, March 3rd, at 1:00PM for a double-header against the Nova Southeastern Sharks.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP:
A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.