TAMPA, Fla. - The University of Tampa baseball team split games with the Sharks, winning the series 2-1.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: (Game 2) #2 Tampa 8, #12 Nova 6; (Game 3) #2 Tampa 5, #12 Nova 7
Records: Tampa (12-3, 5-1 SSC), Nova (7-6, 4-2 SSC)
Location: NSU Baseball Complex | Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
All-time Series: Tampa leads the all-time series record over the Sharks at 43-19.
Follow Us: @TampaSpartans on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat and Vimeo
HOW IT HAPPENED IN GAME 2:
- The Spartans started the top of the first off hot as they scored five runs to start the game. Drew Ehrhard recorded the first hit for the Spartans on a single through the right side. Darren Miller came up to bat and singled through the left side, advancing Ehrhard to second. After a passed ball by Nova, Miller and Ehrhard each advanced a base. Danny Sirven then reached on a fielding error by the Nova second baseman, scoring Ehrhard and Miller. With Crile and Sirven still on base, Harrison Bragg came up to the plate and crushed a homer to left field, giving the Spartans three more runs.
- The Sharks were able to put one run on the board in the bottom of the first.
- The Spartans put another run up on the board in the top of the second, making the score 6-1.
- In the top of the fourth, Bragg came up to bat and hit a single to left field before stealing second. Nick DeTringo recorded his first hit of the game after doubling down the left field line that would bring Bragg across the bag, 7-1.
- Nova slowly picked up a momentum as they scored one run in the bottom of the fourth, two in the bottom of the fifth and sixth, making it only a one-run game.
- The Spartans put a run up on the board in the top of the eigth that would secure their win 8-6.
HOW IT HAPPENED IN GAME 3:
- Both teams remained scoreless until the bottom of the third when the Sharks put a run up on the board.
- The Spartans tied the game after Crile tripled to right center and Sirven brought him home on a single to left center.
- The Sharks took the lead in the fourth when they collected two more runs, 3-1.
- In the top of the sixth, Bragg was walked to get on first base before DeTringo then came up and homered to left field, tying the game once again.
- The Sharks went on an offensive run in the bottom of the sixth, recording four runs in the inning.
- The Spartans collected two more runs in the top of the seventh, but would not score again in the eighth and the ninth giving the Sharks the win, 7-5.
INSIDE THE STATS OF GAME 2:
- Pimentel improves his record to 5-0 on the season.
- Bickel recorded his third save on the season.
- Bragg went 2-5 with three RBI and one home run.
- DeTringo went 2-5 with one RBI.
INSIDE THE STATS OF GAME 3:
- Miller went 2-4.
- DeTringo went 1-3 with two RBI.
Tampa returns to action on Tuesday, March 6th, at 6:00PM as they host Catawba College.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP:
A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.