TAMPA, Fla. - The University of Tampa baseball team beat Catawba in game one of the two game series.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: #2 Tampa 9, #23 Catawba 5
Records: Tampa (13-3), Catawba (8-12)
Location: UT Baseball Field | Tampa, Fla.
All-time Series: Tampa leads the all-time series record over Catawba at 10-1.
Follow Us: @TampaSpartans on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat and Vimeo
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Spartans were first to score in the bottom of the second. A RBI from Nick DeTringo allowed Connor Crile to score.
- Bottom of the third Stephen Smith and Brandon Gali scored off a RBI double from Crile.
- The Indians score in the top of the fifth.
- Tampa battled back with one run, a RBI single from Darren Miller allowed Smith to score.
- Tyler Beck relieved pitcher Clay Helvey. Catawba was able to tie it up in the top of the sixth.
- Danny Sirven homered to left field, 2 RBI; Harrison Bragg scored. Spartans led 6-4.
- Mark Moclair relieved pitcher Beck. Top of the seventh Catawba scored one run.
- Bottom of the eighth the Spartans scored three. DeTringo homered, 2 RBI; Richie Rivera scored. Gali scored off a RBI single from Drew Ehrhard.
- Tampa won 9-5.
INSIDE THE STATS:
- Moclair had his third win of the season.
- Pitchers tallied 15 strikeouts. Helvey led the Spartans in strikeouts with nine.
- Smith, Crile and Gali led the Spartans in hits and runs, each with three hits and two runs.
- Sirven and DeTringo both with a homerun each. Sirven with his second of the season and Detringo with his third.
Tampa returns to action on Wednesday, March 7th, at 6:00PM for game two against the Catawba College Indians.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP:
A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.