TAMPA, Fla. - The University of Tampa baseball team completed the sweep of the Fighting Knights after taking both games in the doubleheader.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Game 2 #3 Tampa 3, Lynn 2; Game 3 #3 Tampa 12, Lynn 9
Records: Tampa (25-5, 14-1 SSC), Lynn (19-15, 8-10 SSC)
Location: Lynn University Baseball Field | Boca Raton, Fla.
All-time Series: Tampa leads the all-time series record over Lynn at 74-24.
Follow Us: @TampaSpartans on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat and Vimeo
HOW IT HAPPENED IN GAME 2:
- In the top of the second inning the Spartans scored the first run of the game. It started with Darren Miller getting walked to get on first base. Danny Sirven then singled through the left side moving Miller to second base. Connor Crile drove in the first run after singling up the middle.
- The Knights picked up a run in the bottom of the third that tied the ball game.
- Harrison Bragg got the lead back for the Spartans after hitting a solo home run down the right field line in the top of the sixth inning.
- Lynn managed to tie the game again in the bottom of the eighth.
- Neither team scored runs in the ninth inning, sending the game into extra innings. The Spartans won in the 12th inning after a series of errors by the Fighting Knights.
INSIDE THE STATS GAME 2:
- Mark Moclair had his fourth win of the season.
- Pitchers tallied 12 strikeouts. Moclair led the Spartans in strikeouts with eight.
- Bragg hit his 10th homerun of the season.
- Three Spartans registered two hits.
HOW IT HAPPENED IN GAME 3:
- The Knights were the first to score in game three of the series in the bottom of the first inning.
- The Spartans retaliated with a run of their own in the top of the second after Nick DeTringo solo homered to left center, tying the game.
- Drew Ehrhard opened up the top of the third with a single to right field. Then Bragg singled through the left side moving Ehrhard into scoring position. Both runners advanced a base after a wild pitch from Lynn. Ehrhard then scored again after another wild pitch was thrown, Bragg advanced to third. Connor Crile singled and then advanced to second on a throwing error by the shortstop, scoring Bragg. DeTringo walked to get on base before Danny Maynard came up to bat and doubled to right center scoring Crile and DeTringo and giving the Spartans a 5-1 lead.
- In the top of the fourth inning the Spartans continued their offensive run after Crile crushed a three run home run to right center. Maynard then hit a two run homer of his own to put the Spartans up 10-1.
- The Fighting Knights responded in the bottom of the fourth putting three runs up on the board.
- Lynn continued to fight back as they scored five more runs in the bottom of the fifth inning making it only a one run game, 10-9.
- The Spartans came back in the top of the sixth and seventh innings with one run, giving them the edge they needed to fend off the Knights, 12-9.
INSIDE THE STATS GAME 3:
- Ehrhard went 3-4 with two runs
- Bragg went 3-4 with two runs and one RBI
- Crile went 2-5 with two runs and four RBI
- Maynard went 2-4 with one run and four RBI
- Helvey recorded his third win of the season
- Bickel earned his fourth save of the season
- Three Spartans recorded home runs
Tampa returns to action on Friday, April 6th, at 6:00 PM at Embry-Riddle University.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP:
A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.