TAMPA, Fla. - The University of Tampa baseball team completed a sweep of the Embry-Riddle Eagles after a Saturday rain delay pushed the games to Sunday.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Game 2 #4 Tampa 11, Embry-Riddle 5; Game 3 #4 Tampa 9, Embry-Riddle 4
Records: Tampa (28-5, 17-1 SSC), Embry-Riddle (10-22, 1-14 SSC)
Location: Sliwa Stadium | Daytona Beach, Fla.
All-time Series: Tampa leads the all-time series with Embry-Riddle at 9-7.
Follow Us: @TampaSpartans on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat and Vimeo
HOW IT HAPPENED IN GAME 2:
- Batting first in the order, Nick DeTringo, singled through the left side to start game play. He then advanced to second a throwing error by the pitcher and advanced to third on a failed pickoff attempt. Harrison Bragg then came up to the plate and homered to center field, putting the Spartans 2-0 with only one out of the board. Darren Miller was hit by the pitch to get on base before stealing second base. Danny Sirven doubled to left field and Miller scored, 3-0 heading in to the bottom of the first.
- The Eagles mirrored the Spartans play as they put three runs up on the board in the bottom of the first.
- Tampa scored one run in the top the second that gave them a one run lead.
- The top of the third inning proved successful for the Spartans as they scored five runs and a 9-3 lead over the Eagles.
- In the top of the fifth Stephen Smith started the inning with a single through the right side. Richie Rivera then came up to bat and homered down the left field line, increasing the Spartans lead to 11-3.
- The Eagles scored one run each in the bottom of the seventh and eighth innings, making the score 11-5.
- The Spartans did not let up as Brandon Gali doubled to left center in the top of the ninth. DeTringo was walked to get on first base. A lightning delay after DeTringo's at bat would clear the stadium before the game was called and was to resume Sunday at 1pm.
- On Sunday the game started in the top of the ninth with Drew Ehrhard up to bat. He singled up the middle advancing DeTringo to second and bringing Gali across the bag. Bragg then singled to right field and scored DeTringo, making the score 13-5.
- The Eagles were unable to close in on the Spartans lead as Tampa went on to win with the final score of 13-5.
INSIDE THE STATS GAME 2:
- Christian Calleja recorded his fourth win of the season.
- Pitchers tallied 15 strikeouts. Cole Aker led the Spartans in strikeouts with five.
- Bragg hit his 11th homerun of the season.
- Four Spartans registered at least two hits.
HOW IT HAPPENED IN GAME 3:
- The Eagles were the first to score in the bottom of the first when they put two runs up on the board.
- In the top of the second Darren Miller doubled to right center to start the inning. Connor Crile was walked to get on first. Stephen Smith then flied out to center field and Miller came around to score for the Spartans.
- DeTringo singled through the left side to start the top of the third inning. Ehrhard then doubled down the left field line to drive in another run for the Spartans, tying the game heading in to the bottom of the third.
- The Spartans picked up three more runs in the top of the seventh and eighth to take the lead 4-2.
- The Spartans put four runs up on the board after Bragg homered to center field.
- The Eagles scored two runs in the bottom of the ninth but it would not be enough to take down the Spartans as they went on to win 9-4.
INSIDE THE STATS GAME 3:
- Cheyne Bickel tallied his first win of the season.
- Bragg hit his 12th homerun of the season.
- Six Spartans recorded at least two hits.
Tampa returns to action on Friday, April 13th, at 6:00 PM as they host the Palm Beach Atlantic Sailfish.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP:
A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.