TAMPA, Fla. - The University of Tampa baseball team dropped the first game of the series with the University of Southern Indiana Eagles 4-3.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: #2 Tampa 3, Southern Indiana 4
Records: Tampa (31-6), Southern Indiana (20-16)
Location: USI Baseball Field | Evansville, Ind.
All-time Series: Tampa is tied in the all-time series with the Eagles 5-5.
Follow Us: @TampaSpartans on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat and Vimeo
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Eagles jumped out to an early lead in the bottom of the first and second innings, scoring a run in each to put them up 2-0 heading into the third.
- Both teams remained scoreless through the fifth inning.
- In the top of the sixth, Darren Miller registered his second hit of the game on a single to right field. Danny Sirven then came up to the plate and singled through the right side, moving Miller to second. Miller then advanced to third base on a throwing error by the catcher. Harrison Bragg came up to bat and singled to center field and posting the Spartans first run on the board after Miller came across home plate. Nick DeTringo then hit a sacrifice fly to center field bringing Sirven home, and tying the game up 2-2.
- The Spartans took the lead in the top of the seventh inning and kept the Eagles scoreless until the bottom of the ninth. USI posted two runs in the bottom of the ninth that would secure the victory for the Eagles, 4-3.
INSIDE THE STATS:
- Miller and Sirven both went 2-4
- Gali went 3-4
Tampa returns to action on Saturday, April 21st, for the second game of the series starting at 7 pm.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP:
A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.