TAMPA, Fla. - The University of Tampa baseball team completed the series sweep of the Rollins College Tars after winning both games of the doubleheader.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: GAME 2 #4 Tampa 7, Rollins 1; GAME 3 #4 Tampa 7, Rollins 3
Records: Tampa (35-7, 23-1 SSC), Rollins (16-27, 4-20 SSC)
Location: Harper-Shepherd Field | Winter Park, Fla.
All-time Series: Tampa leads the all-time series with the Tars 120-51.
Follow Us: @TampaSpartans on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat and Vimeo
HOW IT HAPPENED GAME 2:
- The Spartans posted their first run on the board after Harrison Bragg reached first on an error by the shortstop. Connor Crile then doubled to right center, scoring Bragg.
- The third inning opened up with a home run to left field from Nick DeTringo. Darren Miller reached first on a throwing error by the third baseman before stealing second base. Danny Sirven singled down the left field line and bringing Miller home.
- The Spartans recorded two runs in both the fourth and fifth innings, leading 7-0 heading into the sixth.
- The Tars picked up a run in the seventh inning but were unable to close in on the Spartans.
- Spartans won with a final score of 7-1.
INSIDE THE STATS GAME 2:
- Christian Calleja had his fifth win of the season.
- Pitchers tallied five strikeouts.
- DeTringo had his seventh homerun of the season and led the team with three hits.
HOW IT HAPPENED GAME 3:
- Both the Spartans and the Tars scored one run in the first inning.
- Rollins took the lead as they scored one run in both the second and third innings.
- The fourth inning started with a single up the middle from Brandon Gali. DeTringo then singled on a bunt, moving Gali to scoring position. Drew Ehrhard then singled on a bunt moving, loading the bases. Miller walked and Gali came across home plate.
- The Spartans took the lead in the top of the sixth after Crile reached first on a throwing error from the left fielder. Stephen Smith then singled to shortstop and Crile scored. Gali then came up to the plate and hit and RBI single to right field. Gali would then score on a wild pitch.
- Bragg hit a solo home run to right field to make the score 6-3.
- The Spartans would pick up another run in the top of the eighth that would put them up by four runs.
- The Spartans went on to win 7-3.
INSIDE THE STATS GAME 3:
- DeTringo, Bragg, and Gali each recorded two hits.
- Mark Moclair picked up his sixth win improving to 6-2 on the season.
- Pitchers tallied 16 strikeouts.
Tampa returns to action on Friday, May 4th, for a road series at Eckerd College starting at 6:00 PM.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP:
A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.