ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. - The University of Tampa baseball team took the final game of its series against Eckerd College as the 2018 Sunshine State Conference champions registered their seventh consecutive SSC series sweep.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: No. 2 Tampa Spartans 8, Eckerd Tritons 1
Records: Tampa (38-7, 26-1 SSC), Eckerd (22-27, 10-20 SSC)
Location: Turley Athletic Complex | St. Petersburg, Fla.
All-time Series: Tampa holds a commanding 115-40 advantage in the series against longtime SSC opponents. The Spartans have now taken 45 of the last 46 meetings against the Tritons and have now dropped a game at Eckerd since 2003.
Follow Us: @TampaSpartans on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat and Vimeo.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Tampa faced its first deficit of the series as Eckerd scored a run in the bottom of the first.
- The Triton lead was short-lived as the Spartans crossed a run in the top of the second to tie the score at 1-1.
- The Spartans took the lead for good in the third inning on a solo blast by freshman second baseman Drew Ehrhard.
- UT broke the game open with a four-run fifth behind a two-run single by Danny Sirven. Ehrhard also singled home a run while Harrison Bragg drove in a run on a sacrifice fly.
- Ehrhard started a two-run seventh on an RBI double as Sirven would later drive home Ehrhard on a single.
INSIDE THE STATS:
- Senior Cheyne Bickel earned his first of his two-year Spartan career and improved to 2-2 with the win. In 5.0 innings of work, he allowed just one run on three hits while striking out two Tritons.
- Christian Calleja handled the final 4.0 innings to record his first save of the season. The senior lefty continued his successful season with a pair of strikeouts while allowing just three hits.
- Ehrhard was 3-for-5 on the day with three RBI and three runs.
- Sirven also had three hits for UT.
- Nick DeTringo and Connor Crile also turned in two-hit efforts for head coach Joe Urso's squad.
Tampa concludes its regular season with a matchup against SSC rival Florida Southern College on Friday and Saturday at the UT Baseball Field. Friday's game will start at 6 p.m., and will serve as Alumni Day as the Spartans will recognize the 1992 and 1993 teams that won back-to-back NCAA national championships and the 1998 national champions.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP:
A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.