LAKELAND, Fla. - The No. 2-seed University of Tampa baseball team rode a big inning and another dominant performance by David Lebron to a victory over No. 3-seed Delta State University in the NCAA South Regional winners bracket.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: No. 2 Tampa Spartans 3, No. 3 Delta State Statesmen 0
Records: Tampa (41-9), Delta State (41-10)
Location: Henley Field | Lakeland, Fla.
All-time Series: Delta State now holds a 6-4 lead in the all-time series.
Follow Us: @TampaSpartans on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat and Vimeo.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Tampa's scoring came in the second inning when Connor Crile and Brandon Gali singled, followed by a walk to Stephen Smith, which loaded the bases. Richie Rivera drove in the first two runs of the game on a two-run single, and the lead then became 3-0 when Nick DeTringo doubled.
- Lebron stifled the Statesmen, who were able to get two runners to second base on a pair of occasions.
INSIDE THE STATS:
- Lebron went 8.2 scoreless innings, allowing just two hits. The reigning South Region Pitcher of the Year and two-time Sunshine State Conference Pitcher of the Year also struck out nine DSU hitters while walking just one. He held an offense scoreless that entered the game averaging 8.9 runs/game.
- Mark Moclair registered the final out as his sixth save of the came was registered following a strikeout.
- DeTringo, Crile and Gali each had a pair of hits as DeTringo's double was the lone extra-base hit by either team.
- Spartan pitching held Golden Spikes Award Finalist Zach Shannon to a 1-for-4 effort at the plate.
Tampa was slated to play top-seed Florida Southern on Monday afternoon, but the game was pushed to Tuesday at 10 a.m., due to storms. Video will be available through TampaSpartans.tv while live stats are at TampaStats.com.
TAMPA SPARTANS MOBILE APP:
A free app is also available for free download through Apple and Google Play stores. Please search for Tampa Spartans Front Row.